Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Oracle USER$ password hashes

From: Stefan Aeschbacher <stefan () AESCHBACHER COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:02:23 +0100

Hi
to find out what cipher is used, some more information would help.
Unfortunately I have no access to an Oracle System. (and I'm not
really a criptanalyst, but we could give it a try anyway ;)
So the following would be needed:

- is there really a salt (just install two users with the same PW)
- some more plain-text/ciphertext pairs. maybe some special
  sequences (e.g. aaaaaaaa, a) would also help.

With this data some more research could be done.
The other method would be the disassembling of the cryptocode in the
Oracle program (which I'm not really eager to do).

Stefan