Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Implications for "Looking around?" [FBI confiscation of allegely curious student]

From: Nexus <nexus () PATROL I-WAY CO UK>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:16:52 -0000

Hi folks,

Add to that incident, the mass confusion and misunderstanding that occurs
when things cross international boundaries.   A port scan is not illegal in
the UK, for example and it may not even be against the T&C's of the ISP (if
even they care at all - try chasing some SLIP dialup user in Russia...) and
in the US, various state laws may or may not apply, or be overuled at some
point and so forth.   This can also add complications when constructing
NDA's and T&C's of Engagement Licences that also cross these boundaries.
The internet may be global, but not much else is ;-)

Regards,
            JJ