Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Administrivia

From: Alfred Huger <ah () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:15:10 -0800

Hey Folks,

Some quick notes.

1. HTML Messages

I let one through, sorry about that. I have not changed my policy, HTML in
mail is a pain in the ass for Unix users (like me).

2. Code - Put up or shut up.....

I had a post today which I did not approve which essentialy was saying to
another user to show proof of the code they were discussing, without it
they should not be posting about it. That's a bit rough but it's mostly
accurate I think (in terms of the post).

I do not agree with this, if you want to discuss code you are working on
or have in your posession please feel free to do so. You are not required
to show proof of your work, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Much of the discussion on this list comes from folks who work in this
field, much of the code they discuss is in-house and propietary. I am sure
this gives some people in the open source community seizures but it's not
required or expected that these folks should post their code. I often mail
people offline on the list when I see posts about things which I actually
*have* code for but have no desire to post, cause well, IT'S MINE. :>

Having said all this the poster does ultimately have a point - if you can
post the code please do, it's always nice and moreover it helps the
community and the list.

Cheers,
-al

"Vae Victus"