Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] 2 quick questions

From: "sporty o'one" <sporty () SPORTY ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:27:24 +0000

First is I was curious about routers:  If a network has a router (a hardware
one, not a computer running Linux or NT).  Is there anything to be gained
from breaking into the router through one of the remote administration
points?  Is this thus a fruitless exercise or is there something to show the
customer or gain yourself if you are auditing your network's security?

you can certainly DoS the network.  simply firewall/disable any given
interface, change admin pass.  do this on a sunday nite at about 6pm or
when modes of transit become impossible to generate more anger.

Second I was curious about social engineering.  Is this considered "fair
play?"  Is it discussed in advance?  If you're allowed to do it how far do
you take it?  Do you take it the point where you do a mass mailing of BO or
Sub 7 to show the owners of the network how vulnerable they are to this flaw
(because isn't social engineering kind of a flaw even though it is a human
one?)  Or do you just stop with tricking them into revealing user names and
passwords?

I personally think taking a machine that can be quickly redone or a dummy
machine, set it up like a normal machine to be infected and show how
easily done it is.

If the excuse, "But you know how to do these things" comes from
co-workers/supervisors, point out that you aren't exactly one of a kind.