Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Suspect .EXE Trojan

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:59:20 -0800

I might suggest this is more suited to the incidents or forensics list,
but briefly:

When I want to analyze a piece of malware, short of disassembling it, I
just run it on a specially prepared box.  I get regmon and filemon from
sysinternals.com, and shut down all unneeded programs, disable sounds in
explorer, and run a sniffer.  (If anyone has a "quieter" shell than
explorer they like for this sort of thing, let me know.)

Obviously, run this on a scratch box, in case the software does something
unrecoverable.  Those combinations of monitoring tools will tell you just
about anything intereting the malware does, short of delayed actions.

                                        Ryan