Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Where do you go?

From: batz <batsy () VAPOUR NET>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:41:42 -0500

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Tim Hirst wrote:

:So where do you go to experience the rumblings of the underground? Where
:do you go to find the 0day code that usually takes longer to fix then it
:took to write? Are there any of these sites left?

No. I'm still waiting for the pronouncement on SF along the lines of:

Hacker Underground Dead, Girlfriends, NDA's to blame.
Film at 11.

But seriously, most known vulnerabilities out there fall into simple
enough catagories that the script can be hacked together by most
people in this profession in about the same timeline mentioned in
the previous post.

Though it is handy to be able to exploit the exposures that we
as intrusion testers come across, most of the time it is not
nessecary. This is either because there is some low hanging
fruit elsewhere, or the nature of the test is such that
a recommendation on patching the more complex vulnerability is
often sufficient to satisfy the needs of the client.

Otherwise, I would speculate that if you are looking for
truly elite 0-day exploits you might want to learn to speak
spanish, german or russian. ;)

--
batz
Reluctant Ninja