Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NT 4.0 and MD4 Hash

From: Olle Segerdahl <olle () ENVY2 NXS SE>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:31:38 +0100

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 09:12:01AM -0800, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I'd suggest (and I'm surprised no one's brought it up before now) that
you go off and look at John the Ripper before you work too hard on this.
I always use john in place of l0phtcrack. It's quicker, you can use it
on multiple password systems, and it finds NT passwords that l0phtcrack
didn't (or at least I got bored with waiting for it).

I think you are confusing NTLM with LM hashes... As far as I know john
only has support for LM hashes, the biggest differences being that LM is
case insesitive and faster to crypt, therefore john might seem faster than lc.

/olle