Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Auditing for Malicious Tools

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:20:09 -0000

I'd have to agree with Mark...trying to find malicious tools
on a system can be a tough job, w/ so many places to look...

To follow along with what Mark said, one approach would be
to use a little prevention ahead of time, in order to make
your detection easier.  For the 'ounce of prevention', I'll
use an article I wrote as an example:

http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/NTtrojan_article.html

If your policy is that users cannot install software, then
you can easily back that up with technical controls; ie,
ACLs on files, directories, and the Registry keys.  Do not
allow users the right to create or write to Registry keys,
or to write to certain directories.

If you lock down the filesystem, for example, you can allow
them to write to the Temp dir (some apps, like Word, will
write files there), and then have a cleanup routine as part
of their login.

Once you lock down the filesystem and enable auditing, you
can remotely sweep through the EventLog, looking for EventID
560 events.

Any directories that the user can write to can be checked
using remote tools...Perl is excellent for this.  I have a
tool on my web site that will run through startup Registry
keys (Run, RunOnce, etc) as well as the StartUp directory
of all user profiles on a system...so it's fairly easy to
do.  I'm working on a Tripwire-like tool called "FileSentry"
that lets you run MD5 checksums remotely...plus a bunch of
other goodies...

So again...I would use the defense in depth approach.  Don't
try to rely on combing the entire filesystem, running
checksums on all the files, etc.  Limit the directories that
the user can write to, and then comb those...

Carv