Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Exploiting sequence number predictability

From: Jean-Simon Durand <bugtraq () SUPERNET CA>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:53:09 -0400

sirc3 does something very close to that.

It is a very old technique (2-3 years old at least) and it is rarely used
today (I think) because the sequence numbers on most of the unix systems are
unpredictable. Most windows system are still vulnerable.

sirc was made with irc in mind but if I remember correctly, it works with
the telnet daemon. It tries to guess the sequence numbers to establish a tcp
connection with any source IP address.

I attached (uuencoded) a copy of the source code for sirc3. I played with it
a very long time ago so I'm not even sure if it needs modification to
compile. If I remember correctly, it's for Linux but it can certainly be
ported to other OS's.

Have fun!

Jean-Simon Durand
Montreal, Quebec, Canada