Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] SV: [PEN-TEST] Home-Banking PEN-TESTING

From: paul m <paul () 2BET CO UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:08:49 +0100

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:36:12AM +0200, mikhail.iakovlev () TELENOR COM wrote:
Lets say I want to go on
vacation, and there is some internet cafe. Friend of mine is calling and
asking me to transfer some money to his account. In this way any browser
supporting SSL (IE,Netscape) will do the job. All I'd have to do is to
remember acces code to my account in the first place, and have a card with
random codes in hand. If my wallet is stolen, thief wouldn't know what
account thos numbers belong to,

I take it your wallet doesn't contain any bank/debit/cerdit cards or
cheque books then?

and wouldn't be able to access the account
in the first place, since 4 digit number is memorized and not on the
card.

but in the scenario described above you are wide open to shoulder
surfing  - precisely the modus operandii of ATM thieves fraudster.

If somehow attacker takes over client's machine and get information to
accessing account - again, he'd not get too far - the only thing he would
see is balance on account and nothing else.
Of course, there is a little chance that someone would target _you_
specifically , but than it qould require 2 crimes to be commited - hacking
into your computer AND stealing your walled/card.

Again - this is precisely the kind of thing  ATM fraudsters do -
shoulder surf someone to get the number then target them for
pickpocketing - I believe it was common to do this then replace the
wallet , so cards could then be forged without attracting suspicion.

Given that people have gone to the lengths of installing false fronts
on ATM machines to gather information, I think we can safely assume
that publically accessible machines will be trojaned if people take to
using them for thier banking. Albeit that these machines have a wider
variety of uses than an ATM.

This said, I do think idea of verification information that is not
stored electronically could be a good idea (assuming they really are
unique, one-time random numbers and the verification mechanism on the
other end is secure) but you do expose the system to human factors  -
if you have difficulty remembering which number on the card you used
last and cross them off as you go its value is somewhat lessened is it
not?

A cautiounary tale: When I was younger circumstances meant the company
I kept was somewhat less salubrious than it is now and I had the
acquiatance of a professional credit card fraudster. He was often able
t ouse the same card for months at a time.  How? He had a friendly
postman who steal company credit cards before they were
delivered. (And  yes they are sent by ordinary post - after all doing
other wise would cost the bank a little more)

paul m.

 However, you would
probably give a message to the bank and they would disable all thos codes on
the card at once, and send you a new one.
RSA card solutions could also be used but is a bit more expensive for
bank.However, remember that RSA _software_ card simulator is not a good idea
since it also could be taken over since it is resident software on target
computer.

I hope this helps:)

Best wishes.
Mikhail Iakovlev jr.
Security officer for Cerber Security Norway, System engineer for Telenor
Mobil AS
Email: mikhail.iakovlev () telenor com, misha () privat sysedata no
Phone: +47-99579541,+47-98213738, fax: +47-22870954