Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] How to deal with others' security ?

From: Ejovi Nuwere <ejovi () EJOVI NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:07:44 -0400

This should be addressed in the contract before the pen-test/audit begins.
Usually you are given specific IP segments to audit. Anything outside of
those networks are considered off limits, this includes ISP/ASP sites
which the targets DNS may be pointing.

Also, you will find that sometimes you are given the task to audit only
one department within a corporation. Which limits you to a specific
segment. We all make mistakes, but dont concern yourself with anything
outside of your audit task. It can result in legal problems.

If you think it may be worth looking at, mention it before hand.
Otherwise, there isn't much you can do.

e.