PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: [Security Weekly] Security Cameras

From: Patrick Mathieu <patoff () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:45:36 -0500

Hi Larry,

It depends on a couple of thing you might consider first:
- indoor / outdoor ?
- Day / night or day only cameras?
- Do you want to buy a standalone system or host it on an open source system or a dedicated one which are sometimes offer on some NAS (like synology's one)
- Normal resolution (640) or HD (1280 ++) ?
For me I wanted something day/night, HD and the lowest price So I've chosen Trendnet like the one here: http://products.ncix.com/category/security-cameras-poe-de-1315-1067.htm, PoE, day/night wireless or not.

Also I bought a Synology DS413J which has a Surveillance system include inside it and the features are great. Only thing is that for 6 camera you need to pay around 200-300$ in licences (only 1 license included).
There is also open source program like:
- zoneminder
- openvss

So look this up and let us know ;)