PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Requiring smart card use in a Windows domain

From: Herndon Elliott <alabamatoy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 06:42:10 -0500

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:04:18 -0600
From: Terri Shuey <mathair.jedi () gmail com>
To: "pauldotcom () mail pauldotcom com" <pauldotcom () mail pauldotcom com>
Subject: [Pauldotcom] Requiring smart card use in a Windows domain

When testing the 2 different configuration options to require smart card
use for interactive logins (computer vs user account setting) we found
both
options broke access to other applications that were linked to AD.  For
example corporate mail delivery to iDevices when the user account was
required to use a smart card.  Or RunAs Admin when computer account was
set
to require it.

Since corporate mail delivery to an iDevice is normally considered mission
critical (heaven forbid if email is down) has anyone found a way to bypass
or limit either of these account configurations to just normal user
accounts on specific devices?  For example require the computer account to
use smart card but allow RDP or RunAs for admins without smart card
required?

See http://militarycac.com - solution is "Middleware" tools.  What you
describe is widely deployed and solved in DoD.  Also, there are now
certificate solutions which implement solution on iThings and Androids.
Some are better and more secure (and therefore less convenient) than
others.  Softcerts look to be where we will wind up.

Good luck....

Herndon Elliott
Madison, Al
https://keyserver.pgp.com key ID: 24B60B6150130832