PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: counter to claim made on Tenable podcast about upgrading

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:46:52 -0600

Since we're speaking generally, in smaller businesses, I advocate rapid
patching with minimal testing on the belief that the attackers understand
the old bugs better than the organizations understand how to protect
against their exploitation. If you stay current, both the attack and
defense side are equally lost and even if attackers learn faster than
defenders do, the periodic learning level resets are valuable.

Sure, it can cause problems, but the problems they cause are directly
attributable to the patch / new version and can be tested then. The
problems resulting from exploitation take a lot longer to trace and figure
out.  If updating a particular application causes repeated problems, that's
in indication that the organization should look towards replacing it.

In large organizations with dedicated and competent defenders focused on
the application space, the analysis ends up differently, of course.

-Josh More