PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Digital Signature with internal CA

From: Matt Summers <matt () fireantsecurity co uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:03:01 +0000

 Hi Marck,

 You have two options:

 1 - Use encrypted email
 2 - Use the built in PDF Signing capability within Acrobat (or other PDF
writer/reader)

 The first option does not rely on any capability of the document software
to validate the document but you could certainly sign and encrypt email and
this would solve the problem. I would not recommend this as setting up an
encrypted email system has all sorts of other issues.

 The second option is more than suitable. Check out
http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/certificate-signatures.html [1] for more
information. In this scenario you would have your document signing
certificate signed by your internal CA hierarchy. Then using the
certificate and private key you would sign your PDFs using your chosen PDF
writing software. To ensure that your users could validate the signature on
the PDF you should install root and intermediate CA (if you have one)
certificate into the users certificate store (CAPI store in Windows). Then
when one of your users receives a PDF they can validate it.

 Now you can do the same thing with Office
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/add-or-remove-a-digital-signature-in-office-documents-HA010099768.aspx).
[2] I don't see that you need any other software or any cloud service. You
can do everything you need with the tools you all ready have.

 I hope this helps.

 Cheers,

 Matt

 On Sat 23/03/13 13:49 , "marck e." marck.ernest () gmail com sent:
 Thanks for the link.I checked Microsoft RMS site, it aims to solve
 document protection problema.However I can't see -correct me if wrong-
 how it solves digital signature+digital encryption of documents.
 I need something like a app installed on client workstation (say, User
 A) that uses a certificate issued by our internal CA to sign the
 document (PDF,DOC,XLS) and send that document to User B , who will
 validate identity of sender checking signature on the received
 document.
 I know this is the basic concept of any digital signature solution but
 all i find is this kind of applications based on cloud or applications
 that use self-issued certificates which can't be used for my purpose.

 i would appreciate If anyone has advice on this.

 M.e.

 On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Carlos Perez