PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Last week of MoVP, OMFW 2012 slides, and the GrrCon network forensics challenge

From: Andrew Case <atcuno () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:13:10 -0500

Hello All,

We are writing to announce a few new things related to Volatility and
memory forensics.

First, we have posted the last week of the Month of Volatility plugins:

Post 1: Detecting Malware with GDI Timers and Callbacks

This posts covers analyzing malware samples that use timer callbacks to
schedule actions.

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/movp-41-detecting-malware-with-gdi.html

Post 2: Taking Screenshots from Memory Dumps

This posts covers the data structures and algorithms required to recreate
the state of the screen (a screenshot) at the time of the memory capture.

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/movp-43-taking-screenshots-from-memory.html

Post 3: Recovering Master Boot Records (MBRs) from Memory

This post covers recovering the MBR from memory and detecting bootkits.

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/movp-43-recovering-master-boot-records.html

Post 4: Cache Rules Everything Around Me(mory)

This post covers a new plugin that can recover in-tact files from the
Windows Cache Manager.

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/movp-44-cache-rules-everything-around.html

Post 5: Phalanx 2 Revealed: Using Volatility to Analyze an Advanced Linux
Rootkit

This post covers analyzing the Phalax2 rootkit with Volatility and other
reversing tools.

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/phalanx-2-revealed-using-volatility-to.html

Second, slides from the 2012 Open Memory Forensics Workshop are being put
online:

Datalore: Android Memory Analysis:
http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/omfw-2012-datalore-android-memory.html

Malware In the Windows GUI Subsystem:
http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/omfw-2012-malware-in-windows-gui.html

Reconstructing the MBR and MFT from Memory:
http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/omfw-2012-reconstructing-mbr-and-mft.html

Analyzing Linux Kernel Rootkits with Volatility:
http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/omfw-2012-analyzing-linux-kernel.html

Finally, we have posted our writeup on solving the GrrCon network forensics
challenge using only memory analysis:

http://volatility-labs.blogspot.com/2012/10/solving-grrcon-network-forensics.html

If you have any questions or comments please either comment on the
respective blog post or reply to the list.

Thanks,
Andrew