PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Best ROI Combination - Metasploit & Training

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:38:59 -0600

I don't think Nessus and Nexpose is comparing apples and apples.   The full
Security Center compares more fairly to the full Nexpose line.

Personally, what I like about Nessus is that, when paired with Metasploit
community and a few other tools, I can cover 90% of what Nexpose +
Metasploit Pro gives me for a substantial reduction of the cost.  It takes
a bit more time perhaps, but I find that my understanding of what's truly
going on is greatly improved.  Then, when you add webby tools like
BurpSuite Pro, you can boost your capabilities beyond what Nexpose can do
(at least the last time I checked).

That's not to say, of course, that my way is right for everyone. It's just
that I've found that the advantages that tools like Nexpose and Core give a
team over their open source equivalents are generally useful for
experienced teams.  For inexperienced teams, I've more often found them
used as crutches that hinder the learning process and I think it's an awful
lot of money to pay for a disadvantage.  Given the success of those tools
in the market, it may well be that my experiences are in the minority.

In case it helps anyone else, my paid tools are Nessus, BurpSuite Pro and
Maltego. Everything else I use is free and open source.  This works well
until that approach gives you full coverage (which takes a long time for
smaller / less mature organizations), then the more expensive tools can
accelerate your approach or give you a wider range of coverage.

-Josh More