PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CEH

From: xgermx <xgermx () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:26:48 -0500

I studied for and took the CEH between fall and spring semesters at
university, as something to keep me occupied during the break.
Did I find it valuable?
Well, I did self study and my cert was paid for by my employer so,
from my end, the cost-benefit was there.
I'm not cynical about certifications but, I try to be pragmatic. The
CEH didn't blow my mind with any new concepts but, it did fill in
some of those small knowledge gaps. A considerable amount of
information wasn't practically useful but, represented antiquated
attacks (ping of death, I'm looking at you).
In this way, I found it similar to a Comptia exam. If you want to get
your hands dirty and really learn something practical, grab a copy of
BackTrack and start using tools in a test lab.
Of course, that probably won't help your resume, much ;)