PaulDotCom mailing list archives

hamster and ferret problems

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:22:51 +0000

Hi
Is anyone still using Hamster and Ferret? I was trying to play with it
but ferret just keeps seg faulting on me and so never gives any data
to hamster. This is the crash:

$ ./ferret -r sniff-2012-02-29-eth.pcap
[0] ./ferret
[1] -r
[2] sniff-2012-02-29-eth.pcap
-- FERRET 1.2.0 - 2008 (c) Errata Security
-- build = Feb 28 2012 15:07:17 (64-bits)
-- libpcap version 1.2.1
sniff-2012-02-29-eth.pcap
proto="DNS", query="A", ip.src=[192.168.0.2], name="bsides.2bli2.com"
unknown record type
Segmentation fault

From the debugging I've managed to do it looks like something to do
with the unknown record type getting parsed somewhere and causing the
problem but my C isn't good enough to work out what the unknown record
is and how to kill it off before it gets parsed.

Or, can anyone suggest a newer, supported alternative? I'm after
something that picks up all sessions, not just ones it knows about.

Robin