PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: breaking in to security, trying to get answers

From: Brian Wilhide <brian.wilhide () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:51:18 -0500

I started from a university, and picked things up quick.  I spent a
year as a full-time intern with Sourcefire, plus finishing up my
degree.  I found that the school’s don’t do practical labs though,
students need to have the drive to take everything they teach further,
and spend time at home learning the useful parts of what they teach.

They do have competitions like CCDC that help students learn quickly
and expand realistic skills.  Furthermore, some schools put a lot of
effort into having the teams do well.  In University of Maryland:
College Park, they have one of the guys from their incident response
team help the students to prepare.  The required education for a
degree makes the students get a lot of information from a lot of
disciplines, but fails to make sure students understand the basics of
each.  Some Community College’s have more practical labs that teachers
actually use during classes, but its rare for any school as they spend
5-7 years fighting politically after its built to adopt it into their
curriculum.  Now if only they didn’t limit students entry to CCDC so
much.

When it comes down to it, a degree helps you get into a interview and
a little more money on the backend, but it is technical skills and
additional projects that end up deciding if they are valuable.
Programmers from school also never are taught secure coding, nor do
they typically teach efficient coding.  Again it is up to the person
to take everything further.

Brian
www.unallocatedspace.org
--