PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Nessus Scans killing ASA 5505

From: Paul Asadoorian <paul () pauldotcom com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:57:58 -0400

Hi Ron,

Just a couple of things I noticed:

1) Try switching to a TCP scan instead of a SYN scan, it will be a
little slower but may cause less problems with the firewall

2) Your max checks per host and max hosts per scan are set really high,
this is likely the reason the firewall is spiking CPU. Try tuning these
back (start with 5 hosts at a time and 10 checks per host).

3) Feel free to open a support ticket and the fine folks at Tenable
support can assist you further.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul