PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Password auditing

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:16:45 +0100

On 18 August 2011 18:36, Gibson, Samuel <gibsons () my uwstout edu> wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to crack passwords for an audit
that would reveal the passwords that were cracked but not the username
associated with the password.

It depends on what format the passwords are in. Some crackers, such as
oclHashcrack, don't take usernames, just hashes so you have to strip
the usernames from the hashes. Others, such as ophcrack cracking NTLM,
take a pwdump format file but you could easily do a search and replace
with something like perl -p -i -e or sed to replace all the usernames
with dummy values.

Robin

Thanks,

Sam