PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Patches for OS X Tiger?

From: Josh Little <josh () zombietango com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 11:23:53 -0400

Official stuff? Nope. Tiger has been unsupported for several years now. You
may be able to "patch" specific subsystems on the box by compiling your own
versions, but depending on the subsystem you may|will break something.
Apache and PHP, if you're using those, are probably safe. Webkit? Probably
not. If it's a client machine, the stuff you are interested in patching most
likely will fall in the "can't patch" or "will break if patched" category.

This doesn't include the list of 3rd party stuff that may not run the latest
version under 10.4. Your best bet is to upgrade|rebuild the system to 10.6,
if possible. If not, at least get it to 10.5. It will all depend on the
criticality/nature of the system. If the machine is still a PPC based
system, you should have a migration plan in place if that machine does
anything the least bit critical.

-ZT