PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: UAC in Windows 7 more trouble then its worth?

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 19:21:27 -0500

Before this discussion goes too far off into the weeds, I think it should be
pointed out that UAC is not a security feature.  Read the post at
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/archive/b/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/23/security-features-vs-convenience.aspxto
learn more.  (When I read it, I learned that my assumptions were
wrong.)

I am not a Windows expert, but I would suggest digging into Windows
permissions and UAC configurations before disabling it entirely.  All the
UAC discussions I see these days look an awful lot like the SELinux
discussions I saw five years ago.  Odds are you can make the system work to
everyone's satisfaction if you just take a little to time to jump up the
learning curve.

-Josh More

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Michael Lubinski <