PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Exploit Development Help

From: Craig Freyman <craigfreyman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:59:11 -0700

I've discovered a software bug and I've been trying to figure out if it is
exploitable. I was wondering if anyone on the list has exploit development
experience and would be willing to give me a hand. It's not on any well
known software so it might be boring to most, but it's very exciting to me!
So, I imagine that help would come from a generous soul willing to lend a
hand :)

My bug crashes an application consistently and overwrites the return address
but then does strange things. I've been told by jduck at Metasploit that
this might be exploitable but after reading everything I've found, I'm not
sure what I'm missing. I am comfortable with basic buffer overflows but this
one does not appear to be basic. I am certain it is not an SEH overflow but
can show that EIP is overwritten and I also know the offset.

Let me know if anyone is willing to give me some advice. I'll show you my
exploit code and give you the software make/version as well.

Thanks,
Craig