PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Folder and File audit

From: Bob Hewitt <bob18360 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:45:18 -0500

OSSEC might be worth a look. It takes some time to setup, but the config can
be rolled out to multiple systems.
On Feb 15, 2011 2:45 PM, "Michael Dickey" <lonervamp () gmail com> wrote:
*crickets....*

You can dig into Windows audit logs (RTFM, sadly) and tuning them up
higher,
but that's a pretty messy job to do. (And spendy, if you dump that into a
SEIM. Or if you have large file servers...)

You can check into players like Tripwire that do file integrity monitoring
(FIM), but that's a pretty spendy way to do it.

I'd echo that lots of people would like to have what you want, and it's a
pretty big no-brainer request that even non-techs can ask. But solving
that
issue (windows+file audits+across network+tracked changes) is one of those
Big Elephants sitting in the room.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Gibson, Samuel <gibsons () my uwstout edu