PaulDotCom mailing list archives

A little off topic but kind of related to security

From: Michael Miller <mike.mikemiller () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:56:38 -0800

This is a little off topic but hey I think have a good local time source is
related to security.  So this is the deal I saw on another mailing list (If
your a time nut you might have seen it as well.) a GPS reviver that does PPS
output on the cheap. $40 bucks cheap you can get a GPS 18 LVC for as low as
$27 and as high as $91.  I got mine a few years ago for $60.  It is higher
quality but Garmin has discontinued the product.

http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99

It's a demo board and it looks like it's being put together by the lowest
Chinese bidder.  I.E. some boards will have poor quality work as seen in
this detailed report.

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/

Not bad for 40 bucks IMO it's not as good as a commercial ntp server from
symmetricom.  I don't know about you but I can't afford that for my house.
Anyway I figured I would share with everyone.

-mmiller