PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Embedded Malware

From: Ryan Sears <rdsears () mtu edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:52:45 -0500 (EST)

Hey Subba,

Well I don't necessarily have any citations, but that's a problem that's plagued programs since they basically existed
- the separation of data and code.

If you examine both code and data on a hard drive, they are the /exact/ same. A collection of bytes. Depending on the
context it is up to either the operating system, or the individual program itself to make that distinction, but it's
mostly the program. The problem lies in when you find an unmetered buffer, double free()'d buffer or some other way to
corrupt memory and manage to re-direct execution flow. When this happens it is very much possible then to make your own
interactions with the underlaying OS (thus making network connections or changing files), although things like apple's
sandbox, the NX bit, ASLR, and DEP make it very much more difficult to actually interact with the os and run your own
shellcode, but these systems aren't perfect. They have their flaws too, and can be bypassed with a number of methods
(stack bruteforcing on 32 bit machines, return-oriented programming, etc)

It is very possible to write malware for /any/ platform, be it a cell phone, a switch, or a control system.

As for malware inside media files, I suppose that would be possible as well, I myself have a number of crashes in
libavcodec with the FLV file format, and have yet to attempt to write any exploit code for it. There's lots of weird
math to corrupt, and sometimes that DOES mean exploitable bugs, but of course sometimes it doesn't. In my experience
though, I have never seen a bug that would trigger an exploit who's movie file actually plays after that. Usually it
crashes the program when you re-direct execution flow, although depending on how the exploit was written I suppose it
would be possible to repair the corruption and jump on the right path again, but that's usually way more sophisticated
then people are willing to go when writing exploits.

I guess I'd say look at comex's PDF exploit, and sandbox escaping for the Iphone, or as it was commonly referred -
jailbreak.me. (http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002002.html)

These were very real vulnerabilities that could very well have been modified to do anything on a victim's phone, from
stealing the sms database, reading emails, to placing premium phone calls! Thankfully comex wasn't doing anything
malicious, and just wanted to jailbreak people's phones for them.

I hope it helps!
Ryan Sears