PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security career coaching, mentoring or suggestions welcome

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:53:13 -0600

1- Absolutely keep up the blog! Even if few people use it, it serves *you* a
great purpose to self-publish and organize thoughts. Or give people a place
for trackbacks, linkbacks, etc. Nothing demonstrates your security geekness
quicker than a blog/web presence.

2- Double-absolutely! I have found on my own site that how-to types of posts
get by far the most interest. Plus they let you learn more and give you a
place to return if, a year later, you forgot what you did and need your own
refresher. I also tend to, myself, like posts that are how-to types. Most of
us mean well when we want to post more how-tos (i.e. go over a BackTrack
tool every week...yeah, that happened!)...  If you want, I'd also suggest
video tutorials to then post places like theacademy or securitytube.

3- This can be a slow burn, if a burn at all, unfortunately. For those
assessments you do, as long as you can properly sanitize them, I would
*potentially* suggest publishing them on your blog as well. They can act
almost like an example of your work. And web assessment examples by someone
who knows what they're doing...yummy! At the very least, this should help
illustrate to yourself your work for when you rebuild your resume; that
you've added value and done security stuff to the benefit of your company.
There may not be a dollar-sign attached, but I think most will understand
that not every company *can* put dollar signs to such activities.

4- If you qualify for the CISSP (and you can weasel those years of
experience in many ways if you work at all in IT), I'd really suggest going
for it. It can't hurt you other than in your wallet. (If you've been
listening since episode 1, I'd bet a whole night's worth of beer you
qualify.)

5- Organizing time...ack, I can't help you there! Security books are
awesome, but definitely try to set aside a place and time to work along with
some books. I would definitely take as much time reading security blogs,
listening to podcasts, and watching con presos.

My addition: If you have development background, feel free to find a really
cool tool that you cover on your blog, and donate some time to create
something to add/plug into it.