PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: demoing sslv2 vulns

From: Sebastien J <sebastien.j () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:28:52 +0100

Hi Robin,

For weak SSL ciphers, particularly the ones that don't actually do
encryption, then you could demo something. You can force your client
to request a non-encrypting cipher suite, and then show how it's
possible to intercept traffic in cleartext over the network.

For cipher suites that DO encrypt, the 56-bit ones are very weak and
shouldn't be used. Unless you want to bother cracking encryption, you
won't be able to immediately demo this one. It's simply a question of
telling them that weak encryption sucks and can already be broken by a
determined attacker.

The SSLv2 protocol itself has a number of vulnerabilities. It depends
on the version of SSL they use and which platform it's running on. But
it's safe to say there are a number of issues and they should be using
SSLv3/TLSv1.

See here for one example of an SSLv2 vuln:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/5363/discuss

Sincerely,
SJ
--