PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Barcode fuzzing and brute forcing app idea, plus off topic question about B&N Nook

From: Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek () irongeek com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:12:49 -0400

Hi all,
   I've bee thinking of writing an app for fuzzing and brute forcing
barcodes. The Nook seems like a good platform since it uses e-ink (most
barcode scanner won't work off of an LCD, but e-ink is ok), and is Android
based. Question is, which to get? They now have a $150 one that is WiFi
only, and one that is $50 more which comes with 3g. If you root it, can you
use the 3g one's Internet access for general TCP/IP use? Anyone have a Nook
that is rooted that could tell me? If you can't use the 3g for general
TCP/IP use/web surfing on a hacked Nook, I might as well get the WiFi only
version. I know free 3g is a bit to hope for, but I've not found a
definitive answer online from someone who has a rooted Nook.

Thanks,
Adrian