PaulDotCom mailing list archives

mac vs pc (non-fanboy answers)

From: robin at digininja.org (Robin Wood)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:14:40 +0100

On 16 April 2010 01:55, Jason Wood <tadaka at gmail.com> wrote:
I like my mac because it's got a *nix shell underneath the hood, so it makes
a great admin platform.? It's also a good place to write/test scripts and
then deploy them to a server with little modification.

The problem I see is that it isn't *nix underneath it is BSD and I've
seen some tools that work on Linux but don't mention BSD. I'm just a
bit worried that I'll end up spending most of my time in a Linux VPN
to get the tools. I can't think of anything specific so I suppose that
is another question, are there any killer apps that don't work on the
Mac that do work under Linux.

How is wireless support for things like packet injection with aircrack
and master mode for creating APs?

Robin

Besides every time I spec out a PC laptop with the video card and other
stuff I want, it costs nearly as much.? I bought a cheaper laptop once and
hated it for the 3-4 years that I used it.? When you use something all day a
cheap feeling keyboard, clunky mouse pad and mediocre durability becomes an
annoyance real fast.

Not sure if that would really justify it for anyone else.

Jason