PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Barcode and Ctrl+Alt+Del

From: irongeek at irongeek.com (Adrian Crenshaw)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:49:54 -0500

As some of you know, Mick and I are F-Ing with barcodes. I've found that
some of the lower 32 ASCII characters are interpreted as special keys by
barcode reading keyboard wedges. I think I'm close to doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del
with Code 128 bar codes. I've got a test sheet up, let me know if your bar
code readers interpret things the same way:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/barcode-ascii

On mine, Code 128 for the lower 32 seems to translate to:

ASCII0[Enter]
ASCII1[Insert][Enter]
ASCII2[Home][Enter]
ASCII3[Page Up][Enter]
ASCII4[Delete][Enter]
ASCII5[End][Enter]
ASCII6[Page Down][Enter]
ASCII7[Left][Enter]
ASCII8[Backspace][Enter]
ASCII9[Tab] [Enter]
ASCII10[Enter][Enter]
ASCII11[Down][Enter]
ASCII12[Right][Enter]
ASCII13[Enter][Enter]
ASCII14[F1][Enter]
ASCII15[F2][Enter]
ASCII16[F3][Enter]
ASCII17[F4][Enter]
ASCII18[F5][Enter]
ASCII19[F6][Enter]
ASCII20[F7][Enter]
ASCII21[F8][Enter]
ASCII22[F9][Enter]
ASCII23[F10][Enter]
ASCII24[F11][Enter]
ASCII25[F12][Enter]
ASCII26[Up][Enter]
ASCII27[Esc][Enter]
ASCII28[Ctrl held][Enter]
ASCII29[Shift][Enter]
ASCII30[Alt held][Enter]
ASCII31[Enter]

I think my reader automatically puts on the ENTER key. I don't have a
printer at home, but later I ant to rey to send
28
30
4
and see what happens. Shmoocon and the barcode contest might be interesting?

Adrian