PaulDotCom mailing list archives

what files do you go for when you compromise a machine?

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:27:03 +0000

Some good suggestions.

If you ask at the PDC booth they may be able to point you in my
direction or if not see me after the Social Zombies talk at 11 on
Saturday.

Robin

On 3 February 2010 16:40, David Porcello <DPorcello at vermontmutual.com> wrote:

Robin, glad you brought this up! I've been meaning to chat with Carlos about data mining options through meterpreter,
both at the filesystem and network layer. JCran made a good point that many real-world attacks/bots have been
automating this type of thing for years (think regex-ing for e-mail addresses), so we should too!

Examples:

:: Search local profiles & user shares for documents containing passwords, e-mail addresses, IPs, SSNs, & CC numbers
(ROE permitting!)
:: Dump "interesting" strings from live network interfaces: passwords, email contents, URLs (HTTP GETs/POSTs), SSNs
and CC numbers
:: Save all transferred HTTP/SMTP attachments to local dir (file carving)

My favorite regexs for these are on my blog (http://grep8000.blogspot.com), but the variety of tools and methods has
made this difficult to automate. A "data_miner" meterpreter script would be glorious.. just not sure how to integrate
ngrep, pcregrep, etc. without dropping a local toolkit first. Another option for network-layer queries would be to
extend the meterpreter sniffer, but that's a bit out of my current expertise..

I'll be at shmoo this weekend and would love to discuss further!

grep8000.