PaulDotCom mailing list archives

AV exclusions and Read vs Write scans

From: digitallachance at gmail.com (Francois Lachance)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:35:53 -0600

I am curious to poll the collective intelligence of the pauldotcom.com list
members on the subject of anti-virus on servers.  Our data centre has been
outsourced and the administrator are proposing to change the settings on our
anti-virus to only do scans on write I/O only (no scanning on any Read I/O).

There are well known folders and file types that Microsoft recommends to
exclude from anti-virus scanning (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158 or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823166 for Exchange 2003).  The
administrator were suggesting to exclude the C:\TEMP\ folder from any scans,
which I objected to.  That's too obvious of a location to exclude from
scrutiny.

So my question to you all is do you have a best practice that you follow
when dealing with anti-virus on your servers?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Francois