PaulDotCom mailing list archives

what files do you go for when you compromise a machine?

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:35:26 -0600

Some common file types I like to look for, and quite often found in the directories you are searching:
*.rdp (often has saved credentials to another box, also shows you another machine on the network)
*.pcf (Cisco VPN client configuration file; Also can have saved creds, plus you can extract the VPN group passwords
from them instantly with Cain & Abel or some other tools-And this is assuming they are using secondary authentication
at all!  Seen many lazy administrators recycle a password from elsewhere on the network for the VPN Group password).
*.bkf (ntbackup files-can find backups of data you can't always find elsewhere)
*.qbb, *.qbw (Quickbooks backup/Quickbooks data-just because it's financial data and good to show the customer you can
get it)

recursing through the Favorites folders of all the local user profiles on the machine is an excellent way to find
company Intranet sites, web based applications, etc.

Those are off the top of my head, but it's an interesting discussion topic, where our users are keeping data they
probably shouldn't be :-)