PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Shmoocon Rainbow Table Swapshop

From: chris.blazek at gmail.com (Chris Blazek)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:16:27 -0600

What about breaking the tables up in parts and distributing them
through torrents?

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

On 10 February 2010 04:17, Harley Green <harley.s.green at gmail.com>
wrote:
Glad to hear it went so well for the first time!
This problem sounds like something perfect for a reliable multicast
file
distribution mechanism! Just one host needs to have direct access
to the
drive with the tables and
loops through the entire set streaming over a multicast capable
network.
Then anyone who wants to get the tables just has to listen in and
wait for
the cycle to complete.
As more people get it more sources can stream to different
addresses sending
either different portions of the table set or starting at different
offsets.
--Harley

That would have been OK but most people brought USB disks not laptops
and someone was explaining to me how USB is dumb so has to have the
host handle most of the processing load. Throw 2 or more disks on and
the overhead goes way up.

Disk duplication was suggested but that wouldn't work because of
different size drives, people only wanting parts and people wanting
updates after other tables have been added.

The best I can come up with without any research is to get some esata
or external hot plug IDE caddies and a bunch of screwdrivers so people
who brought enclosed USB disks could pop them out and put them in a
caddy. Don't know how receptive people would be to voiding their
warranties. Some would, some wouldn't.

I think putting the seeds on an internal RAID 0 rather than my
external USB disk would also speed things up a lot, even with the
current external USB model. I need to do some playing and asking
around to see what works and what doesn't.

Robin