PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Bypassing Vontu

From: shawn at NetworksUnlimited.com (Shawn Bernard)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:29:13 -0400

As others have stated, the only way a DLP tool can be reasonably
effective is when it is one part of the overall solution. Whole disk
encryption and not allowing users to install unauthorized applications
would thwart better than half of the suggestions I am not too familiar
with vontu  but from the little work I have done with the Websense
product, on the client end you can prohibit copy/paste/print operations
of 'protected' data which knocks out a couple of others.  You will never
stop readers of security lists from bypassing DLP and other security
but with comprehensive policies and a thoughtful deployment you will be
able to accomplish the main goal which is making it much harder for good
people to make honest mistakes.