PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Illegal but Ethical

From: chris at mewett.net (chris mewett)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:39:12 +1100

I should be writing an essay around this topic, but am procrastinating, so I
thought I'd throw some thoughts in for anyone interested in this area.

what is ethical can depend on what meta-ethical theory you subscribe to: the
rule consequentialist might think the parking meter clown was acting
unethically, but the act consequentialist would probably think it is okay.
Duty based theories would probably consider the act unethical (you have a
duty to obey the law).

on the general area of illegal but ethical, it could be better framing this
in terms of justice - St Augustine says something like "an unjust law is no
law at all" and that there's no obligation to obey it, but Aquinas and Dr
King would also say you have to disobey publically, and accept the
sanctions/punishment that come for the breach. The point of the disobedience
is to get the law changed, isn't it?
(google Letter from a Birmingham jail for more from Dr King).

But back to the business masters - I think the inverse question is more
worrying - what about activities that are legal, but unethical? The
consequences of possibly legal but unethical practices can be unfortunate.
(Stripped out some examples as the e-mail was getting long).

I personally find the ethical area fascinating - got the taste doing a
Masters in Information Systems Security, so am doing further study in
ethics. If you want more readings in this area, let me know and I can give
you some references.

Regards,
Chris.

--