PaulDotCom mailing list archives

transparent proxy and iptables failing

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 23:04:20 +0100

2009/10/7 Ben Greenfield <bcg at struxural.com>:
I don't see why you would net ebtables for this, I do this with
iptables and bridge-utils without a problem. ?I'm curious what your
routing table looks like, as for my setup the routing is integral to
this, and it didn't work until I added what seemed like a gratuitous
route to me. ?I just looked at my config, and other than the bridge
name I'm using an identical IP tables command. ?If you want I'd be
happy to provide the script that controls my iptables firewall that
has a virtual DMZ, WAN, and LAN interfaces.

Do you mind posting the output of /sbin/route? ?It will probably help
us figure this out.

I've ran out of time to do this today so will have to come back to it
tomorrow but the routing on a machine on both sides of the bridge is
just a normal default route and the device doesn't have a route setup

 $ /sbin/route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.0.254 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

I agree that this should all work so it is probably just something
daft. I've built the physdev module and got it installed but not
tested it yet, hopefully that will solve things.

Are there any basic tests anyone can suggest that I can work through
to try to debug this?

Robin