PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Drop or rst?

From: lostpacket at live.com (Norman Rach)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:39:07 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in a discussion about our current ruleset for iptables.  Whether to be RFC compliant and issue a RST to
those scanning/connecting to undesired ports or to drop the packet completely.  By sending a rst back to the host
aren't we letting the srcIP know that the traffic successfully arrived to the host without being intercepted by a
network appliance (i.e. IDS/IPS, firewall, etc)?

As far as I can tell this seems to be more of a discussion on one's own security posture preference.  Any feedback is
appreciated.

Cheers!

NR

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/