PaulDotCom mailing list archives

best way to run graphical BT4 from a server

From: dale at puredistortion.com (Dale Stirling)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:55:13 +1000

I think this has been a bit understated in the current discussion, namely
the main
advantage of Xen, the paravirtualization. Xen really is a server solution
where virtualbox > is a desktop solution.

Yes you could run Backtrack in para virtulisation and you get near bare
metal performance, but you will need to find/build a xen-kernel for the DomU
that has all of the modules/drivers that back track requires.

I run Xen on RHEL5 and Centos servers at home and in production with
paravirtual DomU's with out issue, but these are built from the Centos/RHEL
ISO images. The GTK Virtual Machine Manager works really well for building
new DomU's

Dale