PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Kon-Boot on a USB

From: trklisted at networksamurai.org (mOses)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:17:32 -0400

Well I can tell you that it will work again active directory accounts
HOWEVER when you read the documentation and in your testing what
you'll find is that since the credentials entered do not match the
active directory network credentials you don't have access to network
resources. It would seem to me that what this does is that it will
patch the system in memory in order to tell the local system service
(or winlogon) that your username did match what was in the LSASS
process (or something to that).

Now what I was trying to prove was that it will work when WIL (windows
integrated login; meaning no actual password prompt in the FDE/WDE in
pointsec is required).

now secondly and more interestingly I tested this on an encrypted
debian system by entering the decryption password (which is different
than root) and it worked! (kon-usr was able to login!).

So basically COLD-BOOT attack against LUKS + Kon-Boot on ubuntu/debian
will work.... scary.