PaulDotCom mailing list archives

suggestions on linux based fw/sec platform for home use with dualwan

From: tvfischer at gmail.com (Thomas Fischer)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:54:21 +0200

Some more updates.
I've decided to go with Astaro for the moment. Mostly because it's linux
based and I am more comfortable with linux than with BSD (just a preference)
and the ease of setup due to its use of objects & it's default installed
options. The objects actually made it much easier to set-up and the
multi-wan link had some good preset definitions (like an object defined for
all the uplink address).

Although I initial ruled out pfSense (1.2.3) because of ?difficulties? I had
setting it up (cf. my twitter feed), I must have been on a bad day or
something. I revisted pfSense following a discussion with Scott Ullrich and
I stand corrected. It was a good choice and building the dualwan was not so
difficult. However, building the NAT/rule stack was more time consuming I
think in good part because it could use objects and have a general
definition for the aggregated network links. eg. to build a NAT you have to
create an entry for both wan links (with Astaro I could do it in one entry).

Cheers to all who helped!