PaulDotCom mailing list archives

discovery tools - indexing

From: rsreese at gmail.com (Stephen Reese)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:59:28 -0400

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Kevin Shortt <kevin.shortt at gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone recommend an effective indexing tool to search for key terms on a
windows workstation??? Right now I am slated to use the OS search function,
but was not sure if there is anything I should be looking at that would be
more effective.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Kevin,

Do you have an image of the system you're working with or does the
search need to be performed on a live machine? You may want to
consider Sleuthkit/Autopsy to create a index that is later able to be
searched. It can even produce a shiny time line :-)

If you're looking for something to just search a file system maybe
Google Desktop? Not really sure if you're trying to perform some type
of forensic analysis or not.