PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Encryption/Protection for USB storage media

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 09:57:19 -0400

Hello,

I use the Ironkey.  Since it is done at the hardware level, it is one of the
few solutions that I have seen that ensures the data is encrypted (no
messing around with setting up encrypted partitions inside the key).  Also
since it is hardware based it can be used on machines where the user does
not have local administrator rights (Truecrypt - at least the last time I
evaluated it - requires usb drive users to have administrator rights on the
machine to mount the encrypted volume). It works on XP, Vista, MAC, and
Linux. It is very easy for the end-user to use. Simply double click on the
executable (you can put a shortcut on the desktop to make easier), and the
password prompt will appear (if autorun is on - which it should not be in a
secure environment! - the prompt will appear as soon as they insert the
key).  It is a bit on the pricey side though.

The upcoming Windows 7 has an interesting feature that you may also want to
look into (if you do not want to pay the premium for Ironkey). Bitlocker to
go.  It is supposed to extend Bitlocker encryption to removable devices.  It
is also supposed to have group policy extensions to enforce removable
devices to use it (or render them read-only if they don't).  I believe that
it will be readable on XP, Vista, and 7.  I don't know if the data will be
readable on non-Windows machines so it may not be an option for those users
that also use or need to access the data on non-Windows machines.