PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Cracking good times

From: bioradmeister at gmail.com (Dan Stadelman)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:44:42 -0600

It is really hard to answer this one because it really "all depends"
on a lot of things - mainly how long it would take to test one
password.  This can vary with system set up - if the user has access
to the password hashes, etc.

If you are trying to make up some stats you could do something like
this (I assume you know this):

26 + 26 + 10 + 10 = 72 characters

arranged 20 ways

20^72 * time to crack one password == a lot of time

arranged 15 ways

15^72 * time to crack one password == a bit less time

This is assuming there isn't some short cut to figuring out the
password - like it is on a sticky note on someones monitor (which
probably will happen if you are having such long passwords that are
changing frequently).

Laters,

Dan