PaulDotCom mailing list archives

DNS look up against a specific DNS provider

From: rd at rd1.net (Ralph Durkee)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:02:58 -0400

Yes, it makes it your goal a lot clearer. I was wondering where you were
going with your question.  I think you're on the right track in that DNS
can be good at detecting malware and bot track on your network.  I don't
think it's going to be practical to ask the top few dynamic DNS
providers to monitor requests from our IP addresses.  They would
probably be willing to sell it as a service, but it wouldn't catch the
more sophisticated bots that use their own DNS servers.  In particular
I'm thinking about fast flux networks that honeynet wrote about in 2007
http://honeynet.org/papers/ff    They recommended passive DNS monitoring
as a way of detecting these bot nets, and several other papers have been
written on it such as
http://www.caida.org/workshops/wide/0707/slides/bojan.pdf   and
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~delaat/snb-2005-2006/p12/report.pdf
Of course DNS monitoring your network could also catch any external
authoritative DNS responses that had your own IP addresses in it, which
is likely to be of interest.

-- Ralph Durkee, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GSNA, GPEN
Principal Security Consultant
http://rd1.net

Adrian Crenshaw wrote:
Thanks Tim, hope your explanation makes it more clear. I've read about
some malware/bots using dynamic DNS provider to map names for the sake
of convenience, and some employees may set up unauthorized services on
their work box, I figured this sort of tool would help find them.

Adrian

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Tim Krabec <tkrabec at gmail.com