PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Any Advice Trojan.BHO

From: johnemiller at gmail.com (johnemiller at gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:39:15 +0000

Egress filtering ICMP would be a first step to preventing successful
exploitation with the particular situation you described. There is rarely a
good reason to allow internal users (especially non-technical users) to
send ICMP to external address ranges. Allowing ICMP as well as other
unnecessary services to exit a network provides channels for attackers to
get data or connectivity through a firewall.

Additionally, depending on how the trojan gets installed, reducing user
privs is a very important step in securing a Windows environment. I know
that restricting users can be a major PITA, but allowing them to run with
Administrative will ensure that the slightest vulnerability will leave them
open to high-priv access to the domain.

John Miller - john at ethackal.com