PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ideas for Securing my FTP Server

From: infolookup at gmail.com (infolookup at gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:38:58 +0000

Dr

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Patterson <mike.patterson at unb.ca>

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:17:39
Subject: Re: [Pauldotcom] Ideas for Securing my FTP Server

Robin Wood wrote on 3/22/09 4:48 PM:
I've only skimmed some of this conversation but OpenBSD is mainly
designed as a server OS so really shouldn't be running gnome and
probably not even X.

Hmpf, I used it as a desktop for a year or so, going on a decade ago now
- I'm sure it's much more usable now than it was then too.  Not GNOME
though, WindowMaker.  :)

If you are building a server then for security you want as little
installed and running on it as you can get away with. If you need to
use a GUI to install or set something up then you may be best doing it
on a test machine and then copying the config files across to your
server rather than filling your server with GUIs.

But this anyway.  Even avoid putting a compiler on, if you can.

Mike aka kraigus

--
Hey, if we can understand other people's Perl scripts, we can
probably understand 'beyond a reasonable doubt', right?